Saturday, March 26, 2011

fundraising, revisited

Almost two months ago, I posted a blog about fundraising. If you haven't seen it but are interested in the background story, click here. And if you don't feel like reading that, I'll give you the essence of the post in a nutshell: All international YAVs are required to fundraise $9000, which supports the year of mission service. In that post I talked about how fundraising had been a much more positive experience than I could have ever expected, and asked that anyone who was reading consider making a small contribution, as I had only raised about $4525 at that point.

Weeks flew by and I didn't give much more thought to fundraising; I had done what I could, and hopefully people would consider my request and make a donation, thus helping to continue to make this wonderful program possible.

Yesterday, I received an email from the director of the YAV Program. The subject was 'fundraising.' I nervously opened the email, knowing that it would be one of the periodic reports that I have received throughout the year with a summary of my fundraising effort thus far. It had been at least two or three months since I had gotten a report.

I am happy to say that I wasn't just writing to no one when I wrote that original fundraising post--quite a few people made donations around that time, and I am so thankful to everyone who did, whether you contributed an amount big or small. I was surprised at the identity of several of the donors, and also realized how lucky I am to have friends who, even if they may not have more than a few dollars to spare, take seriously and believe in what I'm doing as a YAV and decided to support me accordingly. To all of you--THANK YOU! (And you will be getting a thank you note from yours truly in India...but mail has proven to be slow, so don't hold your breath :)).

Thanks to your generosity, I have now fundraised $7,000. The end is in sight! Just $2,000 more to go. So for any of you who didn't see my original post, for all of the reasons listed there, I ask you to consider contributing. Simply click here (yes, I am position 4) to make an online donation.

With any luck, the next post I write about fundraising will be to share that I am DONE! :)

"What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal." -Albert Pike

No comments:

Post a Comment